The Legend of Twelve Hundred Postcards
Number 80 Queens Road has been a shop, office, restaurant and dry cleaners in its long history. At one stage when owned by Mr G J Fellows, it even made Beer Engines for the pubs of Hastings.
Our bar is named in honour of an event that took place at 80 Queens Road in February 1906. At this time it was a shop known as the Chocolate Box selling sweets and chocolate to the general public.
In addition to sweets the shop owner was also selling French postcards under the counter which despite being very tame by today’s standards attracted the attention of the local constabulary. A raid was carried out and the shop owner was found guilty of corrupting the morals of the local community. His sentence was three months in jail with hard labour and the twelve hundred postcards that sealed his fate were destroyed giving us the name for our micropub.
His collection of Twelve Hundred Postcards were destroyed following the conviction but the story lives on today through the opening of this bar on the same site over 100 years later.